Get involved with AMA
Our chapter is entirely volunteer-run, and we’re always looking for more people to join in! We'll match your interests with our needs to help you grow professionally and personally.
Perks you'll get from participating in the AMACVA board include:
- Skill building – try out new skills in a safe space
- Resume building – show off your talents and accomplishments
- Mixing - grow your professional network
- Mentoring - give back to the marketing community while helping others in their careers
Frequently Asked Questions
What do volunteers do?
We always ask our volunteers what they want to do. We want participation to be a fun growth opportunity for you. These are some of our needs, but tell us what you’re interested in!
- Events/Monthly Speaker Series
- Brainstorm topics and recruit speakers
- Work with speakers to develop messaging for event promotions
- Coordinate food and beverages and set up/clean up at events
- Promote events through online community calendars and social media
- Create social media, email and website content
- Develop sponsorship packages
- Recruit sponsors to offset event and operational costs
- Reach out to prospective members at events and through email or phone
- Welcome new members
- Plan members-only events
- Coordinate annual member survey
- Other Needs
- Lead the committee for our annual Excellence in Marketing Awards
- Help with strategic planning
Most of your events are in Charlottesville; do I need to live there to volunteer?
No! Our chapter covers a large part of Virginia, including Lynchburg, Farmville, Harrisonburg, Roanoke, and Blacksburg. We would like to be able to offer more events and other involvement for our members who don’t live near Charlottesville, but we need more volunteers to make that happen.
Do I need to be an AMA member to volunteer?
No. Our volunteers begin by serving on committees such as membership, communications, etc., and you do not need to be a member to serve as a committee member. However, if you wish to move up into a leadership role, you will need to become a member.
How often does the board meet?
Once a month, board members and volunteers get together to brainstorm, collaborate, and keep the Chapter trucking. And yeah, we often meet at local watering holes. Want to lend your voice to the discussion?
Join our mailing list to receive AMACVA news, resources, and events updates.
The best marketers are members of the American Marketing Association: they form powerful professional connections, learn from valuable resources and take opportunities to gain special insights. AMA helps you take your career further.